Sunday, March 22, 2015

Yosemite Run...

Now that I am in work mode, I have been focusing on staying in shape. So I have been in the gym after work and trail running as much as possible. Eating right though is most important and probably the hardest part. Not to mention I will soon be going in for a meniscus repair on April 30th. This bum knee has allowed me to hike, but not run long distances. I have not ran any Ultra Marathons in 2 1/2 years since I tore it. But anyways, I went for a 20 mile run with Catra in Yosemite up and over Yosemite Falls and atop North Dome, then down and out via Mirror lake. We had not even made into the park, before the ranger stopped us to tell us that he knew who Catra was. He said he read all about her in Runners World. And that is how it is to hang out with Catra. Not long after, we were greeted by fellow Ultra Runners, that joined in and ran the rest of the day with us. The weather was perfect and the falls were flowing nice.  It was a great day in the park. My knee held up pretty good, and we continued meeting other people who knew who Catra was along the way. It sort of reminded me of hiking with Scott Williamson. It was pretty cool, and I surely did not mind taking extra breaks.
We sure were a colorful bunch, and our conversations were great. But the day was just perfect, and I could not believe it was only mid March. We actually ran across a couple of small snow fields and the drinking water was great, [luckily, cause I dropped my water bottle from Yosemite Falls] yes I littered, But I bet someone picked it up for me. Doh....
We finished our run at Ahwahnee Lodge, where Mark told us a great story about a date he once took there! We supported trail trash everywhere with our pictures and went and had dinner in Curry Village. This unplanned spur of the moment trip was absolutely awesome! I hope we meet up and do it again.