Sunday, March 22, 2015

Back in the water!

I injured my knee 2 1/2 years ago and it was too severe to surf for the 1st 6 months of the injury. I was more focused on healing it enough to walk 3000 miles along the Continental Divide Trail. But as soon as I was done with the CDT, I ended up working in the Bay Area, and just lost all desires to surf. The knee injury is still prevalent, but not as severe. Also I have been doing Cross Fit exercises and P90X workouts as well. My weight has dropped and not only has my overall condition improved, but so has my knee.
   So for the past few weeks my first true love has been calling me home, and Yesterday March 21st, I took the longboard out and road some waves. It was like riding a bike and I can not find the words to explain the wonderful feeling I felt inside knowing I could still surf well. I also went out today [the next morning] and it was smaller but cleaner. I had a couple of really good waves. There is nothing quite like a good day of surfing to lift your spirits and touch your soul. I think that surfing led me to hiking, for the solace and living in nature are very similar. Not to mention the healthy lifestyle.